National Geographic : 1938 Mar
Co ©H.Iwata, courtesy Mrs. Anne Archbold "LET THESE ROCKS FOREVER PROCLAIM THE GLORY OF BUDDHISM" Such was the thought of the Northern Wei rulers when they ordered the Yun Kang caves to be sculptured. The expression of strong religious fervor, intensified by earlier persecutions, rather than the creation of a monument, prompted the builders. Much of the herculean task was performed between A.D. 452 and 483, although the work was not fully completed until the next century. Formerly wooden structures, such as those at the right, coveredthe fronts of several cave entrances. These wooden facades cover the 0 Mi To Fo and the Shih Chia Fo caves (page 329).