National Geographic : 1938 Mar
THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE LARGE ESTATES OVERLOOK THE CITY AND BAY OF FORT-DE -FRANCE, MARTINIQUE Under withering fire from French soldiers at Fort Louis (center) in 1794, British Captain Faulknor and his crew ran their ship aground, rowed to shore in small boats, and took the fort. Later, the French regained the entire island; Britons took possession again in 1809, but surrendered it to the former five years later. © National Geographic Society Finlay Photographs by Edwin L. Wisherd A HANDMADE CANE CRUSHER EXTRACTS JUICE FOR RUM Water flows along the overhead trough, drops into pockets on the wheel, and turns the creaking Martinique mill. Juice is distilled to spirits in the low-roofed building beyond.