National Geographic : 1938 Jun
UNFURLING OLD GLORY ON CANTON ISLAND STARS AND STRIPES REFLECT SUNRISE AND SUNSET ON CANTON ISLAND Capt. J. F. Hellweg, U. S. N., and Dr. S . A. Mitchell hear George Hicks broadcast the cere monies of unveiling the marker on Memorial Day, 1937. President Roosevelt placed Canton and Enderbury Islands under the Department of the Interior on March 3, 1938. Colonists landed and found intact this monument erected by the National Geographic Society-U . S . Navy Eclipse expedition. Vj ivatonal ueograpnic ouciety rinlay rnotograpts by Kichard ti. Stewart ON THE ASTRONOMER'S FRONT LINE, "MICHELANGELO" PLIES HIS BRUSH Charles Bittinger, member of the National Academy of Design, the expedition artist, sets up his easel between Dr. Irvine C. Gardner's corona camera (left) and Dr. F. K. Richtmyer's clock tower.