National Geographic : 1938 Jul
©Arthur W.Hobart IN PLYMOUTH, THE HIGH HOE OF HAWKINS, DRAKE, RALEIGH, AND FROBISHER HAS NOTHING TODOWITH ASONG Irresistible to the punster is the name of the parklike expanse at the left, the Hoe-from the Old English "hoe," meaning promontory. Although ithides most ofthe town from Plymouth Sound, the Hoe here appears flattened out. From the plane, the tall white Naval War Memorial seems todwarf Boehm's statue ofSirFrancis Drake (page 75) and the Armada Memorial. To the right of Smeaton's Tower (page 62) is the Marine Biological Laboratory, with theCitadel beyond and theBarbican seemingly bridging the gap between Sutton Pool (page 60) and the Cattewater. In lower right is the Promenade Pier,with bathing pools beyond.