National Geographic : 1938 Jul
Photograph by Willard R.Culver JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY WAS BUILT IN GEORGIAN COLONIAL STYLE TO HARMONIZE WITH AN OLD BALTIMORE MANSION A Baltimore merchant bequeathed a fortune to found the University and Hospital that bear his name. Noted forresearch andadvanced scholarship, theinstitution outgrew downtown quarters and, in 1901, Homewood House, built just a century earlier by Charles Carroll of Carrollton, was presented, with itsadjacent estate, to the University. Other buildings, conforming to it architecturally, were erected around the old mansion, now restored andrefurnished asitwas inCarroll's time. On Charles Street, near the campus entrance, stands this monument to the founder. Famed Johns Hopkins University Hospital isinanother part ofthecity.