National Geographic : 1938 Aug
OUR SEARCH FOR THE LOST AVIATORS rulloograpi uy 'reraIu rown IN FLIGHT, POWERFUL TWIN ENGINES BURNED 75 GALLONS OF GASOLINE AN HOUR Steel fuel drums lie on the shore at Aklavik, Northwest Territories, where Sir Hubert Wilkins established his base for most of the autumn and winter flights. The navigator's cockpit below had a rotating top affording good visibility and a window near the water gave a good view down ward. Windows of the pilot's compartment are above. The engines are twin-row Wasps of 1,000 horsepower each. The U. S. Navy has nearly 200 similar ships for use as long-range bombers. rnotograpn Dy sir tiuert WIIKins ESKIMO RUMOR STARTED ROBERT RANDALL ON THE FIRST SEARCH FOR THE FLYERS Beside his plane at Aklavik stands the veteran Mackenzie Air Service pilot who began looking for the Russians two days after their last radio message was received. At Barter Island, off the north Alaska coast, he questioned Eskimos who "had heard what they thought to be the roar of an outboard motor." When the boat failed to appear and the noise faded, they went on butchering reindeer (pages 141-2).