National Geographic : 1938 Oct
"IPOURED ADEATH POTION FOR MY SICK BABY!" LONG ISLAND MOTHER LIVES A NIGHTMARE IN DARKENED HOME, 0 "Our year old son was seriously ill with whoop ing cough, my husband was down with the grippe... and to add to my problems I blew the electric fuses as I was going to bed," writes Mrs. Camille Dearkin of 222-09 135th Avenue, Springfield Gardens, L. I. O "I didn't know how to fix the lights and decided not to disturb my husband. He could tell me what to do in the morning. But I failed to think what might happen in the dark hours to come...that, roused from sleep by my baby's terrible choking cough, I would rush into the dark for his medicine. O "In the rays of that light, I saw in my hand, not my child's cough mix ture, but a bottle of deadly poisonous disinfectant! "Is it any wonder that I now write to let you know that my husband and I have fresh DATED 'Eveready' bat teries to thank for our baby's life. (Signed) _"/y /&taU^ __ O "I fumbled in the dark med icine chest for the cough syrup and a teaspoon, that ghastly cough frightened me so. It seemed he must be choking to death! My hand shook so in the dark I kept spilling the medi cine and I realized I must have light to measure a proper dose ... so, in spite of my panic, I took time to get my husband's flashlight. NATIONAL CARBON COMPANY, INC., 30 EAST 42nd STREET, NEW YORK, N. Y. Unit cf Union Carbide TIl- and CarbonCorporation "Mention the Geographic-It identifies you."