National Geographic : 1939 Mar
CHARLESTON'S FAMOUS BATTERY, ON A PENINSULA TIP, POINTS TOWARD THE SEA AT THE JUNCTION OFTWO RIVERS Officially known as White Point Gardens, park and promenade overlook the harbor, at the confluence of the Ashley (right) and Cooper Rivers. Both streams are named for one of the Lords Proprietors, Lord Ashley Cooper. To the left of the schooner lies Castle Pinckney, a national monument on Shute's Folly Island. Although in the past guns were mounted on the Battery, principal defenses have been fortified islands and mainland points bordering thechannel tothesea.