National Geographic : 1939 Oct
Photograph from Ewing Galloway MODERN GDYNIA, POLAND'S NEW WINDOW ON THE BALTIC, LIES AT THE TIP OF THE POLISH CORRIDOR Only fishermen's rude huts occupied this site at the close of the World War. In the last 20 years a modern harbor with vast docks, warehouses, and giant coaling cranes has mushroomed into being. Poland built her own sprawling seaport here to lessen dependence on Danzig, twelve miles away. By1937 Gdynia's imports of nearly a million and a half tons were double those of Danzig (page 558).