National Geographic : 1939 Nov
Photograph courtesy Ferd. Preuss MIGHTY MARIENBURG WAS A STRONGHOLD OF THE TEUTONIC KNIGHTS, MEDIEVALCONQUERORS OFPRUSSIA This picture of the famous church and castle was made from the Danzig bank of the Nogat River, which separated the Free City from East Prussia. From 1309 to1457 the fortress was the seat of the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order. At the battle of Tannenberg (1410), the Poles crushed this military brotherhood (page 677).