National Geographic : 1939 Dec
Photograph byEric Matson LIKE A VAST OPEN OPERA HOUSE, QAVUSINI CLINGS TO ITS NATURAL AMPHITHEATER OFROCK High up in the cliffs, but easily accessible by ascending paths and step streets, is a large church. The rock pillar, upper center, isitsporch or narthex. The church's architecture suggests Syrian basilicas. During the author's visit it was full of winter stores, farmproducts, and big stacks of straw used asanimal feed. Tons of black raisins were piled on the floor and long ropes of fresh grapes hung from the wall or werespread on beds ofthorn bushes which serve asfuel.