National Geographic : 1909 Dec
NOTES ON TURBULENT NICARAGUA 1105 Copyright Keystone View Company GOVERNMENT RAILWAY STATION: GRANADA, NICARAGUA Granada is the southern terminus of the railway system of Nicaragua, which amounts altogether to about 150 miles, connecting the Pacific port of Corinto with Leon, Managua, and Granada. The public roads are very bad at all times and in the rainy season are impassable. There are steamers on Lakes Managua and Nicaragua, and also flat-bottomed steamers on the San Juan River between Lake Nicaragua and Greytown (San Juan), on the Mosquito Gulf. Thus there is steam communication by rail and water between Corinto on the Pacific and Greytown on the Atlantic side. The station at Granada is a very attractive structure and would be creditable to any city of its size. The present population is 20,000. This point, which he named Cape Gracias a Dios (Thanks to God), is in Nicaragua, and it has retained ever since the name given by Columbus. On September 25, 1502, he landed and took possession of the country in the name of the Spanish Crown. In 1524 Hernandez de Cordoba was dispatched from Panama to bring the country under subjugation. This he did, defeating the Indians and making several settlements. Some years prior to this Gil Gonzalez had explored the country, and had discovered Lake Nicaragua. In 1570 Nicaragua became a part of the captain-generalcy of Guatemala.