National Geographic : 1912 Jan
O O N FISHERMEN ON THE SEA OF GAILEE, NOW CALLED THE LAKE OF TIBERIAS: PART OF THE TOWN OF TIBERIAS MAY BE SEEN IN THE DISTANCE Tiberias was built by Herod between 16 and 22 A. D ., and was named in honor of the Emperor Tiberius. As Herod had to disturb an ancient graveyard to make room for the city, the Jews refused to live in it, but after the fall ofJerusalem itbecame the chief center of Rabbinic learning, the Jerusalem Talmud being edited here. The towntoday has apopulation ofless than 4,000, and is notorious for its dirt and fleas. Od 4,ooo, and is notorious for itsdirt and fleas.