National Geographic : 1913 Jan
VIEWS OF THE STATEN ISLAND LIGHT: THE REAR RANGE LIGHT FOR AMBROSE CHANNEL, NEW YORK The view of the interior of the lantern shows the fixed lens and reflector with incandescent oil vapor lamp (see page 31). "For themore important lights the incandescent oil vapor lamp is now used, having been introduced by the French in 1898. Inthis lamp theoilisheated and then vaporized, and is burned mixed with air under a mantle which is made incandescent. This gives a much more brilliant light than thewick lamp, with a smaller consumption of oil. For instance, this change of lamps recently made at Cape Hatteras light hasincreased thebrilliancy ofthe light from 34,000 to 160,ooo candle power, while the consumption of oil has been reduced from 2,280 gallons to1,300 gallons ayear" (see pages 32 and 33).