National Geographic : 1915 Apr
SAN GIORGIO MAGGIORE: VENICE St. George the Greater-to distinguish the church from its little brother, San Giorgio dei Greci-floating onitslittle island inthebroad canal, San Marco, a quarter of a mile from the Molo, in front of the Doges' palace, a quay where innumerable gondoliers frantically solicit patronage. San Giorgio was begun in 1565 and terminated about 161o. The Campanile is 195 feet high. The view from itisthefinest inVenice. The ad joining monastery is now a barracks.