National Geographic : 1918 Jul
. Photograph from Janet M. Cummings AN AMERICAN WARSHIP IN THE HARBOR AND STRUCTURAL STEEL ON THEDOCKS AT BIERUT, SYRIA Beautifully situated on the south side of St. George's Bay, Beirut is the chief commercial city inSyria, and, since the construction ofwater works in 1875, has been considered the healthiest town on the Syrian coast. It was early the scene offanatical demonstrations inthe world war, Moslem priests urging the killing of "infidels" on the first appearance of hostile fleets. At the beginning cfDecember, 1914, the Turks demanded $20,ooo from the American College at Beirut. There were 23 Mohammedan mosques and 23 Mohammedan boys' schools inBeirut, compared with 38 Christian churches and 67 Christian schools at the outbreak of the war.