National Geographic : 1920 Sep
190 TIHE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE Photograph from Harriet Chalmers Adams AVENIDA RIO BRANCO, FORMERLY AVENIDA CENTRAL This magnificent thoroughfare is named for Baron Rio Branco, a great Brazilian diplo matist, now dead. It was carved out of the city during the administration of President Alves. This portion of the city has been cooler ever since, as the breezes sweep through the wide avenue from waterfront to waterfront. Note the wide mosaic stone pavements (black and white). Portuguese workmen from Lisbon were brought over for this work, an ancient craft in Portugal, introduced into that country by the Romans. craft in Portugal, introduced into that country by the Romans.