National Geographic : 1921 Jul
Photograph byU.S.Army Air Service THE ILE DE LA CITE AND THE CATHEDRAL OF NOTRE DAME:PARIS On this little island in the Seine was established the beginning of the French capital long beforeCaesar's armies swept northward. Here was the Gallic town of Lutetia Parisiorum. For years this was the center of the city and the site of theroyal palace. Now there areseveral public buildings here, but its principal object of interest is the Cathedral of Notre-Dame and the Sainte-Chapelle ofthePalais deJustice, which was once the royal palace. Beyond is seen the Ile St. Louis, connected with the larger island by a bridge behind thecathedral.