National Geographic : 1924 Apr
ANCIENT CARTHAGE 401 Photograph by J. Deconcloit TIHE MARBLE CROSS ERECTED BY CARDINAL LAVIGERIE IN TIHE ROMAN AMPHITHEATER It is sacred to the memory of Saints Perpetua and Felicitas (see below). In the distance is the Cathedral of Saint Louis on the Byrsa. Photograph by Maynard Owen Williams RUINS OF THE ROMAN AMPHITHEATER AT CARTHAGE This arena, almost as large as the Colosseum at Rome, was used for wild-animal exhibitions and other brutal spectacles, and it was here that Saint Perpetua and many of her companions were torn to pieces by lions under Septimius Severus, in 203 A. D . In the center of this pagan amusement place is a chapel commemorating the early Christian martyrs (see above).