National Geographic : 1925 Jan
rnotograpn Irom tne carnegle institution THE NORTHEAST COLONNADE FROM THE FRONT The principal excavations of the 1924 field season were centered here. When digging was begun atthis point, onJune 2last, nothing appeared above the level of the ground except the front row of columns, the four back rows being covered to their tops with the fallen masonry of the roof. When excavations were closed, six weeks later, this beautiful example of New Empire architecture had been completely uncovered and partially repaired. Including the small addition at the eastern end (see the inset on page 87), the Northeast Colonnade was100oo feet long, 49feet wide, and 192 feet high. It is composed of 48 square columns 8 feet high and 2 feet square. In the middle at the back, between apair of sculptured columns, thejustly famous Rattlesnake and Warrior Throne was found, the most important part, the center of interest ofthe entire colonnade (see page 91).