National Geographic : 1926 Aug
ATUNTZE NESTLES IN THE SHADOW OF SNOW-CAPPED PEIMASHAN Though conquered by the Chinese in 1703 and annexed to Yiinnan, Atuntze remains essentially aTibetan town and was formerly atrading center, where the people from the northern steppes bartered merchandise with the Chinese. Its name signifies "Beacon Hill," since the mountain beside it made an excellent lookout station. The lamasery occupies the elevation to the right (see, also, page 170). "The White Horse Mountain," the mighty range in the distance, separates the Mekong from the Yangtze.