National Geographic : 1928 Sep
rnotograph by tlorence Craig Albrecht LIONS GUARD THE CATHEDRAL OF SAN LORENZO This great church was the center of the intense religious life of the republic. In it are deeply venerated relics won from Venetian or from Saracen. Most highly prized are the ashes of John the Baptist, kept in a special shrine, and a fragment of the True Cross. In their jeweled caskets they were brought forth with pomp in the old days to calm the tempests that lashed the harbor and to quiet the equally destructive human tempests of the streets during popular uprisings. Photograph by Jrmil P.Albrecht THE WORLD'S FIRST WALL STREET (SEE PAGE 344) A wing of the Palazzo diSan Giorgio, which housed the famous Bank of St. George, the first corporation ofstockholders toenter the business world of Europe after the fall ofthe Roman Empire. Half amillennium ago its keen-witted directorsbegan the use ofsuch now familiar financial devices as sinking funds, trust funds, bonded warehouses, checks, bank bills, and the practice of varying dividends according toannual earnings. Part of the palace is now the home ofthe Harbor Commission.