National Geographic : 1929 Apr
BRANDON, ONE OF THE ORIGINAL HIVES OF THE HARRISONS OFVIRGINIA First granted to John Martin, who crossed the seas with Capt. John Smith, this fine old estate laterpassed toJohn Sadler, William Barbour, and Richard Quiney. The latter's brother married Judith, a daughter of Shakespeare. Nathaniel Harrison acquired itin1720. Onone ofthechandeliers in the drawing-room hangs a small gold wedding ring. It has hung there so long that the memory of manknoweth notwhence orwhy. After more than two centuries in the Harrison family, Brandon has passed to the ownership of another Virginian, whoisleaving nothing undone foritspreservation.