National Geographic : 1913 Apr
Photo byHiram Bingham THIS PICTURE GIVES A GENERAL VIEW OF ABOUT ONE-HALF OF THE CITY OFMACHU PICCHU On the left are the western agricultural terraces. Above them is the Sacred Plaza, with the Chief Temple and thethree-windowed temple to the right of it. Above these and connected with them by the finest stairway in Machu Picchu is the sacred hill, onwhich islocated theInti huatana, or sun dial stone. In the central picture in the immediate foreground are the rough boulders near which wefound most ofthelittle bronze pins and artifacts. Above them are the terraced gardens and a thatched hut built by the modernIndians. Above this inturn isone of the most densely crowded portions of the city, while to the right above the long stairway is the group called thePrivate Garden Group, and below it, on the extreme right, the group characterized by greatest ingenuity in its stonework. The beautifulpeak ofHuayna Picchu overshadows the city like a sentinel. On its summit were found a few rough caves whence guards could -ive warningofapproaching danger.