National Geographic : 1891 May 29
60 I . . Russell-Expedition to Mount St. Elias. The name " Baie de Monti " was given to the inlet in honor of De Monti, the officer who first landed. The location of this bay, as described in the narrative and indicated on the map accompanying the report of the voyage, shows that it corresponds with the Yakutat bay of modern maps. Observations made at this time by M. Dagelet, the astronomer of the expedition, determined the elevation of Mount St. Elias to be 1,980 toises. Considering the toise as equivalent to 6.39459 English feet, this measurement places the elevation of the moun tain at 12,660 feet. What method was used in making this measurement is not recorded, and we have therefore no means of deciding the degree of confidence to be placed in it. After failing to find an anchorage at Yakutat bay, La Perouse sailed eastward, and on June 29 discovered another bay, which he supposed to be the inlet named " Bering's bay " by Captain Cook. It will be remembered that Cook's " Bering's bay" is Yakutat bay as now known. It is evident that the French navigator made an error in his identification, as the inlet designated as Bering's bay on his chart corresponds with that now known as Dry bay. On the maps referred to, a stream is represented as emptying into the head of this bay and rising a long distance northward; this is evidently Alsek river, the existence of which was for a long time doubted, but has recently been established beyond all question. Finding it impossible to enter Dry bay, La Perouse continued eastward and discovered Lituya bay, as now known, but which he named " Port des Francais." Here his ships anchored, after experiencing great difficulty in entering the harbor, and remained for many days, during which trade was carried on with the In dians, while surveys were made of the adjacent shores. DIXON, 1787.* Although the actual discovery of Yakutat bay is to be credited to the French, the first exploration of its shores was made by an English captain. On May 23, 1787, Captain George Dixon an chored his vessel, the Queen Charlotte, within the shelter of its southeastern cape, and, in honor of Constance John Phipps, Lord Mulgrave, named the haven there discovered " Port Mul * The Voyage around the World; but more particularly to the North west Coast of America. Performed in 1788-1789, in the King George and Queen Charlotte; Captains Portlock and Dixon: 4°, London, 1789.
1892 Feb 19