National Geographic : 1896 Jun
ITS PROCEEDINGS to the interior of Alaska, up the Yukon and Porcupine rivers, and across the Chilcat pass to Lynn canal, illustrating his address by means of a large map and numerous lantern slides. The President announced that this was the last of the special afternoon course, and that the subject of the Lenten course of 1897 would probably be an illustrated tour across the Atlantic and through the Mediterranean. RegularMeeting, April 17,1896.- PresidentHubbard in the chair. Hon. Fred. T . Dubois, U. S. S ., read a paper, illustrated by lantern slides, on the Geography, Scenery, and Resources of Idaho. The following amendments to the by-laws were offered in writing, to come up for action at the annual meeting: By Vice-President Greely: Article V, Dues. Add after second para graph: " Suitable rebates may be made, in the discretion of the Board of Managers, in the annual dues of members elected in February, March, April, and May." By Secretary Hayden: Add the following new article: "Article IX. Seal. The seal of the Society shall consist of a polyconic projection of the western hemisphere, from 0° to 1800 west from Greenwich, with the legend 'National Geographic Society' above and 'Incorporated A. D . 1888' below, as in the design herewith." Special Meeting, April 24, 1896.- Hon. Gardiner G. Hubbard, President of the Society, delivered the annual address from the chair, taking for his subject the Progress of Africa since 1888, with special Reference to South Africa and Abyssinia. The address was accompanied by lantern slide illustrations. Special Meeting, May 8, 1896. - President Hubbard in the chair. Mr George F. Kunz read a paper, with lantern-slide illustrations, on Geog raphy as Illustrated by Precious Stones. Regular Meeting, May 15, 1896.-Eighth Annual Meeting of the Society. President Hubbard in the chair. The Secretary and Treasurer presented their annual reports. Pending amendments to the by-laws were con sidered and adopted as follows: Article V, Dues. Add, after second paragraph, " Suitable rebates may be made, in the discretion of the Board of Managers, in the annual dues of members elected in April and May." Add the following new article: "Article IX, Seal. The seal of the Society shall consist of a polyconic projection of the western hemisphere, from 00 to 1800 west from Green wich, with the legend 'National Geographic Society' above and 'Incor porated A. D. 1888' below, as in the design herewith." Mr Wm. A . De Caindry and Col. H. C. Rizer were appointed a com mittee to audit the Society's accounts. The President announced that, in accordance with the resolution adopted by the Society at a meeting held December 27, 1895, the Board of Managers had classified its members in three groups of six members each, as follows: To retire in May, 1896, Mr C. J. Bell, Hon. C . W. Dab ney, Jr., Mr G. K. Gilbert, Mr H. G. Ogden, Hon. J. R. Procter, and Miss E. R . Scidmore; in May, 1897, Mr Marcus Baker, Mr H. F. Blount, Lieut. E . Hayden, Dr C. Hart Merriam, Prof. W . B. Powell, and Mr J. B.