National Geographic : 1896 Aug
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SOCIETY revered today than when he died. No nobler epitaph was ever written on the tomb of any man than on that of Jefferson: 'The author of the Declaration of Independence and the founder of the University of Virginia.'" An address of welcome on the part of the University of Virginia by the Rector, Dr W. C. N. Randolph, was then presented, to which General Greely re sponded. Mr Rosewell Page, of Richmond, spoke gracefully on behalf of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia An tiquities, welcoming the National Geographic Society to Virginia, and describing the work of the Association in preserving James town and other historic sites of geographic interest; and Mr Jef ferson M. Levy, owner of Monticello, in a few well-chosen words, extended the hospitality of the historic mansion to the Society. As an alumnus of the University of Virginia and a member of the National Geographic Society, the Rev. Dr Randolph H. McKim delivered an entertaining address on " Jefferson at Home." He described the founding of the university under Jefferson's plans and tireless supervision, and explained the admirable principles by which the university is controlled-the high scholarship, the elective system, the personal-honor system of discipline, the principle of religious freedom-and showed by illustration and example that the breadth and soundness of education in this institution prove Jefferson to have been far in advance of his times as an educator. Addresses followed on the " Physiography of the Piedmont Plateau," on "Albemarle in Revolutionary Days," and on " Spottswood's Expedition of 1716;" these are appended. After a collation the visitors attended a most agree able reception at the university. The details of the meeting were arranged by a committee under the chairmanship of Dr David T. Day, including representatives from the municipality of Charlottesville and the University of Virginia, the Sons of the American Revolution, the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities, and the Columbia Historical Society. The addresses of special geographic interest follow.