National Geographic : 1898 Mar
A RELIC OF THE LEWIS AND CLARKE EXPEDITION 101 advancing slowly up the Columbia. Their diary makes frequent mention of the fact that they exchanged trinkets of all descrip tions for food and at times wood. As they approached the mouth of Snake or Lewis river, they were delayed several days in the effort to obtain horses for their overland trip across the conti CAP. L:.EWIS nental divide. They found a difficulty in this, owing to their greatly reduced supplies, and everything not of absolute neces sity was used in their barterings. The above-described relic is now deposited in the land office at The Dalles. It was seen by the writer during the summer of 1897 in a fairly well preserved but, of course, rusty condition. It is one solid, welded piece of iron, with the box under the name formed by a raised rim. A pivoted handle, which was not found, was evidently used with the brand, as a short, cylindrical projection on the back of the iron could hardly have been used for any other purpose. This brand was not used for stock, but probably for stamping boxes, leather, or notices of locations or discoveries on near-by trees. It is the intention to deposit this relic with the Oregon Historical Society. CYRUS C. BABB.