National Geographic : 1898 Dec
THE FIVE CIVILIZED TRIBES of the exterior lines were furnished by the levelmen, and addi tional elevations were obtained by means of vertical angles run through the interior of the township, checked upon the levels. The progress made in the survey of the Indian Territory to the end of June, 1898, when the field-work was completed, is shown by the reports submitted to the Director of the Geological Survey. As appears from these reports, 138 triangulation stations have been established, from all of which angles have been observed. In the land survey 63,881 miles have been run, as follows: Standard lines, 2,491 miles; exterior lines, 7,777 miles; subdi vision lines, 50,931 miles; meander lines, 2,149 miles, and bound ary lines reestablished, 533 miles. In addition, level lines have been run as follows: Railroad levels, 1,613 miles; other level lines, 7,690 miles. Vertical angles have been run over 8,595 miles. The total mileage of the land survey, level and vertical angle lines, since the beginning of the work is 81,778. The Geological Survey has not only executed the land or sub division survey of the area, but has in addition carried on the triangulation, the topographic survey, including many miles of spirit-level lines, and has also set the iron posts or bench-marks, a labor not required of contractors, and all this has been done at a great saving to the government from the amount which it would have cost under the contract system. There has been some trouble occasioned by the destruction of corners and bear ing trees by Indians, but warnings from the Indian agent and from the several Indian governors abated this annoyance. No interference has been attempted by Indians with the surveyors in the field. During the late summer and early fall months of the several seasons malarial fevers have been prevalent among the men, and at times have seriously interfered with the work. The summer of 1896 was remarkable for its intense heat, and the hottest part of the United States seemed to be that section included in the Indian Territory. Only one death from sunstroke occurred, however, and as a rule the health of the different parties and the immunity from accident of the 300 or more men employed have been remarkable. The headquarters camp and office were located at South Mc Alester, in the Choctaw Nation, until June, 1897, when, for con venience, they were transferred to Denison, Tex., near the border of the Chickasaw Nation. The work of preparing transcripts of field-notes, township plats, and topographic maps has progressed rapidly, but some of the office-work still remains to be completed.