National Geographic : 1899 Sep
GEOGRAPHIC MISCELLANEA rangement had been arrived at between the University of Oxford and the Royal Geographical Society for the creation of a School of Geography at Oxford. The Society agrees to pay $2,000 a year and the University promises a like sum. The school will be under the superintendence of Mr Mackinder, subject to the supervision of a joint committee consisting, in addition to the Vice-Chancellor, of four members of the University and three members of the Council of the Society. Mr Mackinder, as University Reader, will lecture twice a week during the three terms, and will also have special classes for advanced students. There will be an assistant who will lecture on physical geography, will hold classes five times a week, and will teach surveying and cartography; and there will be two lecturers, one on certain branches of physical geography and one on ancient geography. It is intended that a diploma shall be granted to students who complete the course, and there will be one or two scholar ships of $300. These will be inducements to graduates to spend a year in mastering the principles of geography and the knowledge required for teaching the science and for making it practically useful. The upper floor of the old Ashmolean building at Oxford has been set apart for the purposes of the school, and an annual sum will be devoted to the supply of books and appliances. Miss E. R. Scidmore, the Foreign Secretary of the National Geographic Society, who has recently returned to America from extended travels in China, Japan, and the Philippine islands, in an article in the August Century, entitled " The River of Tea," presents some forcible facts regard ing the rapid development of Russian power in China: "At Hankow, the great tea market of the world and until within a few years the chief source of supply of British tea-drinkers, the Russian has come, and to stay, and the shadow of the Muscovite is over it all. The Russian is not only established at the gates of China, but also at its very heart, the in vasion and absorption being as remarkable in this British settlement at Hankow as anywhere in Korea or Manchuria. Hankow is fast becom ing a Russian city or outpost, a foothold soon to be a stronghold in the valley of the Yangtsze, which China has given her word shall never be alienated to any power but England. Although the Russians have their own concession at Hankow, they do not care to build upon it and live there, amenable then to Russian laws and consular jurisdiction, to Rus sian restrictions and espionage. The Russians prefer the laws and the order of the British concession, crowding in upon it at every opportunity, competing for any house that comes into the market, and building closely over former lawns and garden spaces. They compete with and outbid the few British tea merchants who remain in these days of active Rus sian trade aggression. Only one tea steamer took a cargo to London in 1896, two more British firms closed out and left Hankow that year, and, still more significant, only one pony showed the colors of the one British racing stable at the autumn races. In the retail shops prices are quoted and bills made out as often in rubles as in taels or dollars, and the Rus sians have gradually assumed an air of ownership, of seignorial rights, as complete as if they held the lease or diplomatic deeds to the place for ninety-nine years."