National Geographic : 1968 Aug
Silent sun-washed plazas of Casas Grandes once resounded to the voices of thousands who dwelt in multi storied adobe apartment houses. Ur ban center of an Indian civilization that flourished between A.D. 1050 and 1340, the city covered 260 acres. An ingenious system of underground con duits supplied water to the inhabit ants. Archeologists began excavating 40 acres in 1958; erosion has since badly damaged these ruins 125 miles southwest of Ciudad Juarez. Adobe cage, photographed from the inside, imprisoned a macaw 800 years ago. People of Casas Grandes raised the birds for their feathers, which they used in ceremonies of the Plumed Serpent cult. Kenny Garrett holds the cage's door plug.