National Geographic : 1963 Jan
KODACHROMESBY WILLIAM W. CAMPBELL III (ABOVE AND LOWER LEFT) AND MELVIN M. PAYNE© N.G.S. Temple of the Seven Dolls rises from the rubble of Dzibilchaltun, long-lost Maya city in Yucatan. George E. Stuart, member of a 1958 National Geographic-Tulane University expedition, surveys pre-Columbian ruins that cover 20 square miles. Seven clay dolls gave the temple its name. All showed some monstrous de formity, suggesting that they may have been priestly devices for curing diseases. Up from the depths of Cenote Xlacah come drowned Maya treasures. For 3,000 years dwellers in Dzibilchaltun tossed clay pots and ornaments into the pool. Searching by touch, Aqua-Lungers probed as far down as 144 feet. Expedition leader E. Wyllys Andrews works at left. Lyman J. Briggs, Chairman Emeritus of the So ciety's Committee for Research and Ex ploration, stands beside him.