National Geographic : 1965 Mar
Wrap-around windshields emerge from tanks that wed glass and shatter-resistant plastic at the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company. When the War of 1812 broke out, Pittsburgh was on its way to becoming an industrial colossus of the West. Glass factories, iron fabricating forges, and shipbuilding yards blossomed black along the riverfronts, and by 1840 the city was launching nearly 100 steam boats a year. Oddly, it imported its pig iron until 1859, when the first important blast fur nace was built along the "Mon." During the Civil War, Pittsburgh came into its own as the great arsenal of freedom, a role it continued to play through both World Wars. In the latter decades of the last century, Pittsburgh was the fountainhead of some of the Nation's greatest fortunes. Andrew Car negie, Henry Clay Frick, George Westing house, the Mellon brothers-these and many other men of enterprise built their wealth on Triangular three-watt amplifier contains all the electronics equipment needed for a high-fidelity phonograph. Conceived by sci entists at the Westinghouse Research Labo ratories, the device appears seven times actu al size; each of its three parts would fit inside this capital letter "O". The design craftsman above hand-cuts the master circuits, which are then reduced photographically. Though not yet marketable in phonographs, the min iature circuits serve missiles and computers. Research ranks as Pittsburgh's fastest growing industry, with an annual payroll exceeding $100,000,000. Westinghouse pio neered nuclear power plants for the Navy's first atomic vessels and made Pittsburgh the first city to utilize atomic electricity.