National Geographic : 1952 Mar
Savannah Club, Shrine of Polo and Horse Racing, Once Garrisoned Troops A Bridgetown landmark, the club was long the guardroom of the Barbados Regiment (opposite page). Now a sports center, it overlooks extensive athletic fields that were parade grounds. Bricks of the steepled 18th-century building arrived as ballast in ships that called for sugar. The cannon once roared from a sail-topped man-of-war.