National Geographic : 1955 Apr
0 National ueograpmic society 454 Cleveland, a Frontier Village That Grew to a Metropolis, Hugs Lake Erie's Shore The marshy hamlet laid out by Gen. Moses Cleaveland in 1796 now ranks as the Nation's seventh city. A U. S. Coast Guard station occupies the point where Cuyahoga River empties into Lake Erie. Limestone for Ohio steel mills piles high beside the new Parcel Post Annex. Circular Municipal Stadium flanks ore docks.