National Geographic : 1956 Sep
401 + European "Cowboys" Saddle Up for a 5-Day, 80-mile Trip Guests of the Boy Scouts of America, 16 Scouts from eight European countries camped at Philmont in July, 1955. Eager to be taken for western wranglers, they adopted blue jeans and wide-brimmed hats. Here Klaus Weinert (left), a Senior Scout from Germany, swaps impressions with Spyros Amourgis, a Greek Sea Scout. + Philmont, a vacation mecca for Scouts, is also an operating ranch with some 1,000 Hereford cattle, 300 saddle horses, 250 burros, and more than 1,100 acres under cultivation. It takes its name from donor Waite Phillips, an Oklahoma oilman. Wives and daughters of Scout leaders make up this riding party. Cotton woods and grasslands flank the Camping Headquarters, a onetime ranch house and its outbuildings. Urraca Mesa rises across the valley.