National Geographic : 1940 Aug
Wanderers Awheel in Malta 259 Photograph by Burton Holmes from Ewing Galloway Ghostly Sentinels of Armor Line a Corridor of the Grand Palace Government offices now occupy the first floor of the huge edifice, built by the early Knights of Malta. The second floor is filled with a vast collection of armor, weapons, and paintings of distinguished Grand Masters of this Crusader order. The Knights came to the island in 1530. Fifty years later they built the capital, Valletta, with its majestic buildings. The order continued to flourish for two centuries, but finally succumbed to the power of Napoleon.