National Geographic : 1940 Nov
Early White Explorers Gazed in Awe upon the Spectacular Ruins of Cliff Palace In 1888 two cowboys discovered the crescent ledge, about a hundred yards long, containing 146 rooms (PlateXVII). The deserted, long-lost Colorado com munity was named Cliff Palace by the finders. The Indians entered it through a secret crevice in the rocks. To preserve these early cliff dwellings and other near-by Indian ruins, the tableland and adjoining territory were set aside as Mesa Verde National Park in 1906.