National Geographic : 1941 Apr
Photograph courtesy Maryland National Guard On This Low Bluff Overlooking St. Marys River, Maryland's First SettlersBuilt Their Homes The slender shaft, left, identifies the site of the mulberry tree under which Governor Calvert made a treaty with the Yaocomico Indians in1634. Markers in the cemetery close by outline the foundation of the old Statehouse, capitol until 1694 (page 403). In the center is acopy ofit,erected for the State Tercentenary in 1934. Pageants were being held in the field at the right when this photograph was made. Beyond the cemetery and church isSt. Mary's Female Seminary.