National Geographic : 1941 Oct
420 Metropolitan Museum of Art Raised Arms Mean Ka, Spirit Double They form a hieroglyph signifying the vital force the Egyptian believed was born as a counterpart with his body, lived with it, and accompanied it into the next world. This wooden statue of the ka of King Hor, co-regent of Amen-em-het III, was found in a pit tomb near the latter's pyramid at Dahshfr. Latest News from Ancient Egypt The most recent important news from Egypt comes from Tanis (modern San el Hagar) in the Delta, where Professor Pierre Montet of the University of Strasbourg has run into a perfect nest of intact royal tombs of the Twenty-first and Twenty-second Dynasties, about a thousand years before Christ. Com ing from these tombs, the solid silver coffin of King Sheshonk, who captured Jerusalem about 930 B. c.; the granite sarcophagus, gold mask, and gold vases of King Pa-sebkha'nu I; and the gold statuettes of King Amen-em-opet have graced the picture sections of our newspapers within the last two years. Readers of the Bible-First Kings and Sec ond Chronicles-know Sheshonk as Shishak. Less sensational, but quite as important are The National Geographic Magazine Firth's successor at Sal.lreh, extracted more than thirty thousand jars and bowls of alabas ter and other fine stones-a small portion of the original contents of the plundered royal tomb. For years the stupendous task of clearing and restoring the great temple of Amfin at El Karnak had been in progress, when in 1914 Monsieur Legrain of the Egyptian antiquities service began to investigate the internal fill ing of the temple's third huge pair of gate way towers. These towers, built under King Amen-hotpe III of the Eighteenth Dynasty, were found to be filled with hundreds of carved stone blocks from earlier structures. In recent years Henri Chevrier, engineer of the antiquities service, has extracted from them the major parts of several magnificent buildings of the Middle Kingdom and early New Kingdom. The walls of these edifices are covered with yards of fine relief sculpture. A few years ago the headlines told of a new Egyptian treasure found near T6d, a little vil lage in Upper Egypt. Here in the founda tions of a little known temple Bisson de la Roque, of the Louvre, uncovered a set of cop per caskets deposited four thousand years earlier by King Amen-em-hl~t II of the Twelfth Dynasty. They contained Baby lonian cylinder seals, silver cups, and ingots of gold, silver, and lead. At Salklilreh in 1930, Walter B. Emery, of the Egyptian government staff, began a truly epoch-making discovery-the enormous brick tombs of the kings and nobles of Egypt's First and Second historic Dynasties. From the chambers of these great structures Mr. Emery has already recovered more fine objects and more inscriptions of this little known period than had been found during the whole pre vious history of Egyptian excavation.