National Geographic : 1943 Jan
Glass "Goes to Town" Molds of Easily Worked Applewood Are Used to Reproduce Williamsburg Glass First glass house in the New World was established in Virginia, near Jamestown, in 1607-8, by Captain John Smith. Today the Blenko Glass Company at Milton, West Virginia, reproduces early Virginia glass on display at Williamsburg, and also makes stained glass for church windows (Plate V). The worker carves his molds from green wood, kept water-soaked for easier working. Above this veteran carver's head hang patterns for molds.