National Geographic : 1949 Feb
Beside a Two-mile Bridge, Danish Children Gobble Their Icy Reward for Posing The Storstr0m Bridge, linking Falster to Sjelland, was opened in 1937. Resting on 51 piers, it carries sight seers to Nyk0bing and M0ns Klint. and Princess, and a gathering of 45,000 people assembled from all parts of Denmark and overseas (page 153). Speeches were broad cast, and American Danes, some aged and toilworn, came to the microphone to bring greetings to the old country from overseas. On our way from Randers to Aalborg we visited this beautiful park in the dewy calm of a May evening. Clambering up to its hill top boulder, which records that the Cimbri emigrated from this region in the dawn of the Christian Era, we looked down upon the Lin coln cabin in the glade below. Built of logs presented by each state of the Union, it houses trophies from America's pioneering days, in cluding a covered wagon from Utah. Not far from Rebild a smokeless chimney beside a slag heap marks abandoned Tingbaek Mine. A golden-haired maiden unlocked a low door and led us into the bowels of the earth. We followed her, more and more mystified, for the galleries were lit by electricity, though the mine had evidently been long disused. Presently we distinguished carvings cut in its chalky walls and came to a large statue of an elderly woman embracing a maiden. "Naomi and Ruth?" "No. Denmark and Nord Slesvig in 1920!" The mine is filled with the works of sculp tor Anders J. Bundgaard, who died in 1937 and who worked here where it is warmer in winter than above ground (page 146).