National Geographic : 1930 Oct
Photograph by Maynard Owen Williams LOOKING NORTH ACROSS THE HARBOR OF LATAKIEH On the far side are warehouses and the usual port-side places of trade. The main town lies half a mile farther tothe east and north. Inthe distance a cloud covers the bald head of Djebel el Akra, sometimes known as Mount Casius, for on it the Greeks and Romans worshiped Jupiter Casius. An early name for Latakieh was Laodicea; but, since there were at least eight cities so called, this one wasdistinguished bythe epithet "admare" on the sea. Latakieh is the capital of the new Alaouite State.