National Geographic : 1935 Feb
"-U © National Geographic Society Finlay Photograph by G. E.Matson MEN STRIPPED AWAY A MOUNTAIN FACE TO CREATE THE TEMPLEOF ED DER Here was no cliff such as that in which El Khazna was carved (see opposite page); the flat space infront marks the extent ofthe excavation that preceded the work of the edifice. Though of the same general architectural design as the other classical monuments, this one isseverely plain. Onthe walls of its interior are two red-painted crosses, indicating that at some time it was used by Christians. Itsname signifies "The Monastery." The man leaning against the threshold of the temple gives the scale.