National Geographic : 1935 Sep
Photograph by Melville Bell Grosvenor RACING DINGHIES NOW DRIFT ON COMO'S VIVID WATERS WHERE PIRATE GALLEYS ONCE HELD SWAY From his stronghold, Castle Musso, on the far bank to the right, "II Medeghino," temperate brigand and courteous murderer, harried thelakes with his fleets (see text, page 335). His vessels may have lurked in the tiny, secluded harbors formed by natural clefts in the sheer cliffs of this point. Poised onthecedar-clad hillside, Villa Serbelloni dominates the entrance to this Lecco arm of the lake. Far above the water a dizzy path circles the promontory, on the far side ofwhich liesBellagio.