National Geographic : 1936 Apr
©Courier and Advertiser FOR NEARLY HALF A CENTURY GIRL STUDENTS HAVE ATTENDED THE UNIVERSITY OF ST. ANDREWS Wearing school ties, mortar boards, and the famous scarlet gowns of the University, these coeds are on their waytoa"Capping" Ceremony atYounger Graduation Hall. An ancient "capping stone" is one of the town's relics. On Sunday such happy groups may be seen returning from the services inCollege Church orSt. Salvator's Chapel. This fine edifice was founded 486 years ago by Bishop Kennedy, whose elaborate Gothic tomb survived destruction when the stone roof fell tothe floor (see illustration, page 562).