National Geographic : 1936 Aug
Photograph byU.S.Lighthouse Service MANY AN OLD-TIME FRIGATE, BALTIMORE TEA CLIPPER, OR SLEEK OCEAN LINER HAS MADE CHESAPEAKE BAY BY THESE HISTORIC LIGHTS The masonry tower (left) guarded the southern cape of the entrance to Chesapeake Bay from 1792 to 1881. This was thefirst lighthouse built by the United States Government, the work being included in the first appropriation made by Congress for lighthouse purposes, onMarch 26, 1790. After 1881 thecast-iron structure (right) was put into service. The old tower is preserved by a patriotic society and is no longer used as an aid to navigation (pages 180, 185, and 195).