National Geographic : 1937 Mar
©Donald McLeish CHEERS OF THE ROMAN MULTITUDE ONCE ECHOED THROUGH THESE SPLENDID ARCHES The Emperor Augustus dedicated the Theater of Marcellus in 13 B.C . to his youthful and promising nephew who had died tenyears before. Thirteen thousand spectators once jammed its stone seats to enjoy pageantry, pantomime, and plays. Of the elegant triple colonnade that backed thebuilding, only this battered section remains. The third tier of arches was absorbed into the medieval Orsini Palace, which still crowns the ruins. Archeological housecleaning ofrecent years has cleared away dwellings and shops that cluttered the lower arches.