National Geographic : 1937 Apr
00 Photograph byA.R.Buehman SEVERAL TIMES DESTROYED BY INDIANS, BUT EACH TIME REBUILT, SAN XAVIER DEL BAC GLEAMS LIKE AWHITE JEWEL SET INTHE DESERT Spanish Fathers established the shrine near a spring about 1700, when Arizona was a Mexican mission. The presentstructure, completed in1797, was abandoned 26 years later. At intervals since then red men have used it as a church. Today it is part of the Papago Indian Reservation, near Tucson. San Xavier's founder, Father Kino, recorded that he grew wheat, maize, grapes, figs, oranges, and melons. The Papagos still grow these crops ontheir farm lands near themission.