National Geographic : 1937 Apr
) National Geographic Society Dufaycolor Photograph by Edwin L. Wisherd FOLK OF OLD JAMESTOWN WERE BAPTIZED AT THIS FONT Bruton Parish Church treasures both it and the Communion service brought to Williamsburg when the first settlement's house of worship was abandoned. The building was restored through the efforts of its rector, Dr. W. A . R. Goodwin (Plate VII). Finlay k'hotograph by Luis MVlarden DR. BLAIR USED SUCHMORTARS, PESTLES, SCALES, AND PHIALS Colonial Williamsburgmaids were doubtless attracted tothe shop window to see the town apothecary prepare, as advertised, "allsorts of balsams, decoctions, electuaries, elixirs, emplaisters, infusions, liquors, magisteries, oils, and ointments."